With the fall season in full swing, most of us are starting to spend less time enjoying the outdoors, and more time inside cooking and watching TV. As we make this transition back into our homes, we want to make sure our indoor spaces are warm and inviting for the long months ahead.
You may have noticed that some rooms inside your home are looking a little outdated or don’t necessarily match your style anymore. Bathrooms, in particular, tend to require the most upkeep and upgrades over time, but they are also the most neglected rooms in the home — which is silly because think of all the time you spend in your bathroom!
If you’ve been thinking of redoing your bathroom but are worried about the cost of a full renovation, consider a facelift! It’s easier than you think — especially when you leave it to the pros. There are so many ways to improve your bathroom and work with the materials you already have, rather than completely gutting the space. Here are 5 ways to give your bathroom the facelift it’s been waiting for.
- New paint.
Never underestimate how far a fresh coat of paint can go! It’s one of the most cost-effective ways to transform a room and keep the space looking beautiful. Since the shower creates so much moisture in the bathroom day in and day out, paint can end up fading more quickly than in other rooms. A fresh coat of paint in any color will do the trick, but opting to use a bolder color on accent walls is an exciting way to make the room pop.
- Update hardware and fixtures.
- Hardware: If you have well-functioning cabinets that just look a little outdated, there’s no reason to buy new furniture. You can keep your sink, countertops, and cabinetry but update the hardware to add more modern touches. Consider polished brass or matte black knobs, pulls, and towel bars with clean lines for a more contemporary look.
- Mirrors: Don’t forget to replace your mirrors! Bathroom mirrors are available in so many shapes and styles, you’ll be sure to find something that matches your design perfectly and brings the room together.
- Lighting: Good bathroom lighting is super important; plus it’s a really fun way to make a change. Not only can you upgrade the fixtures themselves, but you can make changes to ensure the lighting is softer and less harsh. Whether you have ceiling lights, sconces, pendant lights, or vanity lights, there are simple ways to change them out to make the room more appealing based on your preferences.
- Update flooring.
Another way to give your bathroom a facelift is to update the flooring. Over time, bathroom flooring can become damaged by water, the color can fade, or regular wear and tear can leave it looking plain grungy. For flooring, consider vinyl, porcelain, or ceramic tile, laminate, wood, or natural stone. There are endless possibilities of patterns and designs to choose from, and this upgrade can bring a fresh look into any bathroom, no matter the size.
- Add subway tile.
Subway tiles are not only for kitchen backsplashes! Their easy-to-clean and stain-resistant properties make them the perfect choice for the bathroom. For a classic look, try adding subway tiles to the tub, shower, or walls. Tiles come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and finishes and can be laid in different patterns to highlight certain areas. Use neutral tiles when you want to compliment busier designs in the room or use a bold design or color to make a statement and help your white details stand out. The great thing about subway tile is that it really does work with all styles including modern, farmhouse, and contemporary décor.
- New countertops and/or vanity.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to replace old countertops or even the entire vanity, if needed. If you’ve had your vanity for some time, it might be looking a bit worn out, or you might just be sick of looking at it and wanting to replace it with something completely different. Restoring it with a new countertop, hardware, and even a new paint color is always an option if you don’t want to give up on it just yet.
Need Help With Your Bathroom Upgrade?
By opting for a bathroom facelift rather than a full renovation, you’ll save on costs and be able to focus on other areas, and still end up with a beautiful new bathroom. Let My Handyman of Dover help you cross this one off your to-do list and give your bathroom a facelift that will add value to your home and help you save money in the long run.
Once the heavy lifting is done, you can complete the look you’re going for with new curtains, rugs, towels, and shelving to tie everything together. Accessorizing is one of the most fun parts, but we’ll leave that up to you! Contact us today to get the process started.