Are you in need of repairs around your Ann Arbor home, but you need to decide whether to hire a handyman or contractor? This can be tricky because both are used for similar and very different reasons.
But, with the help of My Handyman of Ann Arbor, Saline, and Chelseaand this post, you'll gain insight into your choices so you can make the best–informed choice for your budget and project goals.
What Are the Most Common House Repairs?
A home repair is considered any work that needs to be done on the interior or exterior of a home to make it safe or look better! Some of the most common house repairs homeowners face include:
- Replacing broken windows
- Fixing a leaking faucet
- Repainting walls
- Replacing damaged drywall
- Screen door repairs
- Interior and exterior step repair
- Deck and patio rotting wood repair
- Countertop replacement
There are many ways your home might need repair, but who should you turn to? Let's explore our options:
What’s the Difference Between a Handyman and a Contractor?
It's important to understand the differences between a handyman and a contractor while planning your next home repair:
A handyman is a generalist who can do various repair and remodeling projects, usually at a lower price than contractors. This is often because handymen commonly operate on an hourly rate for smaller jobs and upfront, one–time fees for larger ones.
Pros of hiring a handyman for your next home repair:
- Save You Time, Money, & Stress – Instead of spending extra money, time, or stress on your next home repair, hire a handyman to take care of it all for a low cost!
- Get Personal Service – Hiring a handyman can give you peace of mind knowing they’ll provide individualized attention to your home and work alongside you every step of the way.
- Get Emergency Repairs – When it comes to home repairs that need to be done NOW, turning to a handyman is a great option. They have open availability and offer prompt services!
- Access a Wide Range of Services – Handymen offer a wide range of services from repair to installation to maintenance, all of which can be handled efficiently and effectively.
The General Contractor
Contractors usually hold a range of professional licenses, specialize in particular trades like plumbing or electrical, and may even subcontract some of their work. Because of this, they are often more expensive than handymen.
Pros of hiring a general contractor for your next home repair:
- Have Licensed Work Performed – If you require large amounts of technical work to be done around your home, especially electrical or plumbing work, it's often wise to hire a contractor. They have the experience and knowledge needed to get the job done right.
- Can Help with Permits – A contractor can help you navigate the process and have all the necessary paperwork if your home repair requires permits.
- Help with Planning – Any large repair projects or remodels can be overwhelming, and many contractors have experience with helping clients plan their project so that it flows smoothly and is completed within the desired timeline.
Skip Do It Yourself Home Repairs
DIY home repairs can be tempting, especially when you want to save money. However, this isn't always the best idea. If you don't have the tools or experience needed to make a proper repair, leave it in the hands of professionals.
Benefits of hiring a professional for your next home repair:
- Quality Work – Professionals have the skills and expertise to ensure your home repair is done correctly and won't need to be redone down the road.
- Peace of Mind – When it comes to home repair, having a professional do the job means that you can rest easy knowing everything was done properly.
- Insured Projects – When you hire a professional to do home repairs, you're also working with someone insured in case something goes wrong, keeping you safe in the process.
How to Find the Right Fit for Your Home Repair
When it comes down to it, you'll want to choose the best home repair professional for your home's specific needs and budget. Here are some tips on how to find the right fit:
- Research Local Professionals – Start your search by researching local professionals that you can actually meet in person before any work is done.
- Check Reviews – Read reviews and testimonials of any home repair professional you're considering to ensure they have a good track record of quality work.
- Ask Questions – Ask questions about the job specifics and discuss any potential concerns or logistics with them directly
- Request an Estimate – Make sure to request an estimate from any professional you're considering so that you know the exact cost of your project upfront.
Choosing between a handyman and a contractor for home repair doesn't have to be daunting. With some research and the right questions, you can find the perfect fit for your home repair needs!
Need Help with Your Ann Arbor Home Repairs? Give Us a Call.
At My Handyman of Ann Arbor, Saline, and Chelsea, we offer a wide range of residential handyman services to take care of all your home repair needs. We're experienced in various trades and have the latest tools and equipment for any job, including those mentioned in this blog!
We also offer upfront, free estimates, so you know what to expect before any work is done! With this and our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, you can trust us for all your home repair needs.
Contact us online to get started on your next Ann Arbor home repair!